UPDATE 19 Sep 2023:
Registration is open now.
Northern Lights Judo Club (NLJ)
Location: Elijah Smith Elementary (ESE)
About this judo club:
Northern Lights Judo Club (NLJ) is a recreational/competitive judo club in Whitehorse dedicated to the education and promotion of Kodokan judo. Our programs focusses on kids - boys and girls from white belt to orange/green belts under 13 years of age with emphasis on fun, effort, and respect.
Our judokas (people that practise judo) range from 5 to 12 years of age, beginner to competitor with separate classes for novice (5-7 years and 8-12 years) and intermediate (returning/coloured belts) members (8-12 years).
Our judo classes are in the gym of Elijah Smith Elementary (ESE), 1399 Hamilton Blvd, Whitehorse.
Club Entry and Exit:
Enter and exit through the main school doors and not the gym doors. Knock on the gym doors and someone will let you in through the main doors. Shoes and boots should be removed inside main entrance.
Club Categories & registered members:
• Ninja are our novice active judokas with belts of White, White-Yellow, or Yellow from ages 5 to 7 years;
• Samurai are our novice FUNdamental judokas with belts of White, White-Yellow, or Yellow are typically in the age range 8 to 12 years;
Louis, Harold, Alex, Ryan, Angus.
• Warrior are our intermediate, more experienced and returning Learn to Train judokas with belts of Yellow-Orange, Orange, or Orange-Green, and even Green are about ages: 8-12 years with club tournament experience in the Yukon, and some have competed at tournaments outside the Yukon.
• Samurai & Warrior (8-12): 5:15pm to 6:45pm in gym.
• Samurai & Warrior (8-12): 5:15pm to 6:45pm in gym.
• Ninja (5-7): 5:15pm to 6:15pm in gym.
• In the gym:
Setup mats 5pm to 5:15pm, On the mats 515pm,
Off the mats 645pm, Clean & store mats 645pm to 7pm.
• Invitation only: 3pm to 6pm in gym.
• Invitation only: 10am to 12pm in gym
Club Calendar (2023/2024):
NLJ Classes starts Wednesday 4th Oct 2023 scheduled until Monday 11th Dec 2023 (18/10), and Monday 8th Jan 2024 and ends Monday 29th Apr 2024 (22/11).
NO judo classes (stat holidays, PD day, & other activities):
Mon 09 Oct 2023,
Mon 13 Nov 2023,
Wed 13 Dec 2023 - Sat 06 Jan 2024,
Mon 11 Mar 2024 to Sat 23 Mar 2024,
Mon 01 Apr 2024.
Gi (uniform) can be purchased from the head sensei.
Mikado brand - single weave white gi (jacket, pants and white belt) - sizes (0000, 000, 00, 0,1, 2, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 6 & 7) one price of $70.
Mikado brand - single weave blue gi (jacket, pants) sizes (000, 00, 0,1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7) one price of $85.
Check for used gi at Changing Gear store or contact me.
If you don't have a gi on the 1st day of class, don't worry - show up with pants or shorts and preferably sweater or long sleeve shirt.
Note: When competing in the Yukon some clubs will have tournaments rules that require a white gi to compete.
Etiquette & Hygiene:
• Keep your judo gi clean.
• Girls must wear white t-shirt under the gi.
• Keep nails trimmed.
• Feet and hands are to be kept clean.
• Bring and wear own slippers when not on the mats.
• Bring and use own water bottle.
• Bow to your partners.
• Stay home if sick.
• Listen when sensei or coach speaks.
Club's Programs & Registration Fees:
Judo Program 2023/2024
• Love Judo Program fee is $495 includes 1 year membership dues:
A) 2 classes per week from Oct 2023 to Apr 2024. *****Discount $45 off on the Love Judo Program only until 30 Aug at fee of $450.*****
• Like Judo Program fee is $300 includes 1 year membership dues:
A) 2 classes per week and starts from Oct until Dec (half season @2x/week) or;
B) 2 classes per week and starts Jan until Apr (half season @2x/week) or;
C) Ninja (5-7) or others: 1 class per week and starts Oct until Apr (full season @1x/week).
Registration Fees include:
• Annual membership valid from 01Sep this year to 31 Aug next year, and for this club, the Judo Yukon Association, and Judo Canada.
• Participation in our classes, our and other Judo Yukon tournaments, clinics and other sanctioned judo events.
• Coverage to the following: program offered (judo classes), service of this website/registration website, use of the rollout mats, entry fees to Yukon shias (tournaments), grading, grading certificate (if available), belt, membership card, judo athlete photo profile (if available), accident/liability insurance, & related costs for coaches/members (i.e. honorarium, courses, travel, accommodations, etc), and other judo related expenses.
• NOTE: Family Discount - pay for 2 Programs (any combination of the programs) and additional family members pay for the membership fees ($100) only - you still need register online. Arrangement for additional family member's refund will be sorted out.
• NOTE: Ninja (5-7years) is the program at one class a week from Oct to Apr.
Registration Fees does not include:
• Cost of judo gi (uniform). $70 white gi. $85 blue gi.
• Cost of more than 2 family members where additional members require to pay annual membership fee of $100.
• Cost of entry fee to Judo Yukon Championship.
• Cost of clinics or camps in the Yukon.
• Cost of judo events outside the Yukon like tournaments, clinics, camps, etc.
Fees, less a $25 admin fee, will be fully refunded before deadline. After the deadline date of the 1st half season is Oct 10th, this year and the 2nd half season is Jan 10th, the following year - all registration fees are forfeited. Or deadline is 10 calendar days after payment. After the deadline date - fee is forfeited.
Click on link below for online registration.
Online Registration is open now.